Monday, June 11, 2012

The End is Near

Becky Naab is a PRC AmeriCorps VISTA serving with the FoodCorps team in Livingston.


As I write this blog, the countdown to the end of FoodCorps is six weeks. Reminiscing, I can say I have had times in Montana that have been some of the happiest of my life and others that have been the most frustrating. Ultimately, my time here as taught me a lot. I have learned that I am independent and strong enough to move to a completely new part of the country all by myself. I’ve learned that Montanans are some of the nicest people you can find. Most importantly, I’ve learned that you CAN make a difference in a short period of time. 

This past week was the final week of the school year in Livingston. I had a great time enjoying my last days with the kids. My Farm to School lessons were cut short for field trips, field days, and classroom parties, which was quite alright with me since I was invited to them all. Who doesn’t want to go to Yellowstone with 60 second graders? The kids I’ve had the opportunity to work with this year have definitely left a lasting impression on me, and I hope I’ve done the same to them. If even just one student I taught reaches for carrots instead of potato chips at the grocery store, begs their parents to go to the farmer’s market, or can identify what kale is, I have done my job.

Becky with some of her students at the end of the school year
The other exciting news besides the last day of school is the Farm to School Fun Run I planned! While I was busy and stressed days before the run, it was well worth it because it turned out great. My goal was to get at least 20 runners, but ultimately we had 30, including teachers, students, and my FoodCorps comrade, Anina Estem. It was heartwarming to see all the support, and we raised $355 for our Farm to School program. However, the most important thing about the run was that we raised more awareness for Farm to School and brought community members together over a great cause!

Farm to School Fun Run runners
While I might be retiring from FoodCorps, I’m far from retiring from the Farm to School movement. The past month I have been applying for Farm to School related jobs around the country and have found multiple organizations with good job possibilities for me.  Honestly, I think my experience with Montana FoodCorps is what really makes me an interesting candidate. While I will be off to another part of the country come August, Livingston will always hold a place in my heart. 


P.S. A final highlight of the past couple weeks was that I got to hang out with singer/songwriter John Mayer….sort of. He lives nearby in Bozeman, and he sat next to me, and even asked me a question, at my favorite Livingston bar. I’m one lucky girl!

No comments:

Post a Comment